4 EASY SPEED DRILLS FOR A FASTER OFFENSIVE LINE
© February, 2012
by Ken Taylor The Speed Doctor
It’s no secret that all football coaches would like their players to be faster – especially their OL. Offensive linemen represent a very unique group on a football team. They have their own code and camaraderie. As such, special attention must be given when training the OL line, especially for speed. Most offensive linemen don’t even believe speed would help them at their position so they rarely train for it, and coaches rarely focus on it. What a mistake. Why? Here are just a few reasons to focus on building faster offensive linemen.
Benefits of faster offensive linemen:
• A faster OL can be faster to the hole. Each play is quicker so your backs can hit the hole quicker with more speed and momentum. More tackles are broken.
• A faster OL can make more downfield blocks.
• A faster OL can more easily play at a slower speed if they possess speed that is greater than the need for the position.
• A faster OL can turn the corner to seal off the edge before the opponent or back gets there. And they consistently leverage first before their opponent.
• A faster OL means larger collisions (or the DB will just get out of the way, creating a bigger hole)
• A faster OL puts constant pressure on the defense so the fourth quarter is yours! (It is easy to push around tired and demoralized DL guys).
• A faster OL means more athletic athletes. Vertical jump and jump quality increase as a by-product of speed. (It is all the same general stretch ...The full article can only be seen by subscribers.
Current Subscriber first time here? Click Here to set up your password.|
NOT A SUBSCRIBER?|
Subscribe now and get Gridiron Strategies Digital magazine PLUS get INSTANT unlimited access to over
10 years of back issues including over 1000 articles and 3000 diagrams ONLY available at www.GridironStrategies.com